(Last revised on April 26, 2016)
CI reserves the right to make changes to this Website and to modify these Terms at any time at its sole discretion. We encourage you to review these Terms frequently for such modifications. By your use of this Website, you agree to abide by any such modifications to these Terms, which are binding on you.
Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability
CI makes every effort to ensure the presentation of accurate and current information on this Website, but because of the dynamic nature of the Internet, and, in any event, CI makes no warranties or guarantees of the accuracy of the information presented on this Website. In addition, no oral advice or written information given by CI or its affiliates, or any of its officers, directors, employees, agents, providers, merchants, sponsors, licensors or the like, shall create a warranty; nor shall you rely on any such information or advice. You agree that use of this Website is at your sole risk. Neither CI, nor its affiliates, nor any of its officers, directors, employees, agents, third-party content providers, merchants, sponsors, licensors or the like, warrant that the content or this Website will be uninterrupted or error-free; nor do they make any warranty as to the results that may be obtained from the use of this Website, or as to the accuracy, reliability or currency of any information content, service, merchandise or software provided through this Website.
THIS WEBSITE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS. CI MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO THE OPERATION OF THE WEBSITE, THE INFORMATION, CONTENT, MATERIALS OR PRODUCTS, INCLUDED ON THIS WEBSITE. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY APPLICABLE LAW, CI DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TRADE USAGE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
CI AND ITS LICENSORS WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF DATA, INTERRUPTION OF BUSINESS, LOST PROFITS OR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF ACTION WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM THE USE OF OR THE INABILITY TO USE THIS WEBSITE OR THAT RESULT FROM MISTAKES, OMISSIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, DELETION OF FILES OR EMAIL, ERRORS, DEFECTS, VIRUSES, DELAYS IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, OR ANY FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE, WHETHER OR NOT RESULTING FROM ACTS OF GOD, COMMUNICATIONS FAILURE, THEFT, DESTRUCTION, OR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO CI’S RECORDS, PROGRAMS OR SERVICES, EVEN IF CI HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LOSSES OR DAMAGES. YOU AGREE THAT THIS PARAGRAPH SHALL APPLY TO ALL INFORMATION, CONTENT, SOFTWARE AND SERVICES AVAILABLE THROUGH THE WEBSITE.
For Informational Purposes Only
CI makes available the information on this Website for informational purposes only. You are solely responsible for the information you provide on this Website and for the information, content, software and services you use that you view or access on this Website. Such information, content, software and services is not intended as business advice by CI or its affiliates and should not be used for that purpose. Information on this Website is not intended to create any business relationship, and it should not be considered a replacement for direct consultation with CI. If you have questions or concerns, please contact CI directly.
Copyright and Trademark Information
The content included on this Website, such as text, graphics, logos, images, recordings and software, is the property of CI and/or its content suppliers and is protected by copyright and trademark laws. The compilation of the content on this Website is the property of CI and/or its content suppliers and is protected by copyright laws.
In the event you upload any content, including without limitation photographs, to this Website, you (i) represent to CI and its affiliates that you have all rights necessary; and (ii) agree to indemnify CI and its affiliates for any third party infringement claims related thereto; and (iii) hereby license to CI and its affiliates a perpetual non-cancellable license to use such uploaded content for any purposes in any media now existing or hereafter developed.
License for Your Use
For any period of time that you use this Website and abide by these terms, CI grants to you a limited, revocable and nonexclusive license to access this Website for your use but not to copy, download or modify it for any commercial purpose, or any portion of it, except with the express written consent of CI. This Website or any portion of this Website may not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose without the express written consent of CI. You may not utilize framing to enclose any trademark, logo, content or other proprietary information contained on this Website without the express written consent of CI. You may not use any meta tags or any other “hidden text” utilizing CI or its affiliates’ names or trademarks without CI’s express written consent.
You agree to use this Website only for lawful purposes, and you acknowledge that your failure to do so may subject you to civil or criminal liability. You are responsible for ensuring that any materials you post or submit to this Website do not violate the copyright, trademark, trade secret or other personal or proprietary rights of any third party and agree to indemnify CI for any third party infringement or personal rights claims. You agree not to disrupt, modify or interfere with this Website or its associated software, hardware and servers in any way, and you agree not to impede or interfere with others’ use of this Website. You further agree not to alter or tamper with any information or materials on or associated with this Website that you have not entered.
Any unauthorized use or violation of these terms automatically terminates the permission or license granted by CI to access this Website.
Applicable Law and Jurisdiction
By visiting this Website, you agree that these Terms for all purposes shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the state of Connecticut, without regard to principles of conflict of law, and that any action based on or alleging a breach of these provisions must be brought in a state or federal court located in the state of Connecticut. In addition, you agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction and venue of such courts.
Notification of Claims of Infringement
If you are a copyright owner or an agent thereof and believe that any user-submitted information or other content infringes upon your copyrights, you may submit a notification pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) by providing our Copyright Agent with the following information in writing (see 17 U.S.C 512(c)(3) for further detail):
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled and information reasonably sufficient to permit the Copyright Agent to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit the Copyright Agent to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
CI’s designated Copyright Agent to receive notifications of claimed infringement is: Philip Siuta, email@example.com, 860.563.4877.
You acknowledge that if you fail to comply with all of the requirements of this section, your DMCA notice may not be valid.
Information Collected on Our Website
If you merely download material or browse through the Website, our servers may automatically collect certain information from you which may include: (a) the name of the domain and host from which you access the Internet; (b) the browser software you use and your operating system; and (c) the Internet address of the website from which you linked to the Website. The information we automatically collect may be used to improve the Website to make it as useful as possible for our visitors; and, such information may be tied to the personal information you choose to provide to us.
NOTICE TO CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13 AND THEIR PARENTS OR LEGAL GUARDIANS: IF YOU ARE UNDER THE AGE OF 13 AND WOULD LIKE TO CONTACT US, PLEASE DO SO THROUGH YOUR PARENTS OR LEGAL GUARDIANS. THIS WEBSITE IS ONLY INTENDED FOR ADULTS. COMPANY DOES NOT KNOWINGLY COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION FROM CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13. IF YOU ARE UNDER THE AGE OF 13, DO NOT SEND US ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, NAME AND/OR CONTACT INFORMATION.
Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
We restrict access to non-public personal information submitted by you on the Website to those employees and other third parties who need to know the information in order for us to provide certain services to you. CI does not sell or rent the personal information you choose to provide to us to any third party. Also, we will not disclose the personal information you provide to us to any third party without your consent, except (a) as required by law; (b) to independent contractor(s) who host, maintain or service the Website, and (c) to service providers where the disclosure will enable that party to perform business, professional or technical support.
Visitors should be aware that we may be required to disclose personal information in response to valid legal process, such as a search warrant, subpoena, or court order, or pursuant to the Connecticut Freedom of Information Act.
Receiving Promotional Materials
We may send you information or materials such as newsletters by email or postal mail when you submit addresses via the Website. By your using the Website and providing the information or materials, you are consenting to our sending you such information or materials. If you do not want to receive promotional information or material, please select “unsubscribe” and follow the procedure or send an email with your name, mailing address and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org. When we receive your request, we may take reasonable steps to remove your name from such lists.
(1) “The Challenge” refers to the 2016 VentureClash global venture challenge.
(2) “Entrant” means each member of every team competing in the competitions.
(3) “Participant” means all parties playing an active role in the challenge, including mentors, judges, entrants, affiliated third parties and speakers.
(4) “Sponsors” means all corporations or entities that sponsor the challenge.
Information That We Collect
When you register with us for the Challenge, We collect some personal information from you that you voluntarily provide, including your name, address, telephone number and email address. We also collect additional information from you that you voluntarily provide to be used in the Challenge. The type of information collected varies depending on your role in the Challenge, as described in the Official Competition Rules.
We may also collect information about your interaction with our Website for the Challenge. For example, We collect certain standard information that your browser sends to every website you visit, such as your IP address, browser type, and language, access times and referring website addresses. We may also use website analytics tools on our Website to retrieve information from your browser, including the site you came from, the search engines and keywords you used to find our Website, the pages you view within our Website, the links you click on, your browser add-ons, and your browser’s width and height.
Additionally, We may use technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to collect information about the pages you view, the links you click and other actions you take on our Website and services. A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your hard disk by a web page server. Cookies contain information that can later be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. A web beacon is a single-pixel gif which assists in delivering cookies on our website and allows us to count users who have visited those pages. We may use web beacons from third parties in order to help us compile aggregated statistics regarding the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns or other operations of our Website.
How We Use Your Information
We may use information that We collect about you for the Challenge to:
- Verify participants’ eligibility to enter the challenge;
- Match entrants with mentors and judges;
- Share information you have voluntarily provided about yourself (including your likeness) with matched participants and VentureClash staff in order to operate the challenge and in marketing materials;
- Match entrant with the event, category or services best suited to your company’s needs;
- Communicate with you by email, postal mail, telephone and/or mobile devices about the challenge;
- Perform auditing, research and analysis about your use of our Website so that We can make improvements;
- Ensure the technical functioning of our network;
- Develop new services;
- Manage our business; and
- Perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
Choices for Personal Information
Your personal information consists of the information you submitted regarding yourself, your company and other information you submitted to us. We may share your personal information with entrants, judges, mentors and VentureClash staff insofar as it is necessary to run the Challenge. However, participants and sponsors will only have access to personal information that you disclose as part of your participation in the Challenge.
We only share personal information with other companies or individuals outside of the Challenge in the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent. We provide opt-out functionality for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- We provide such information to trusted third-party businesses or persons for the purpose of performing services, such as website development, on our behalf. We require that these parties agree to perform these services based on our instructions and in compliance with the Terms and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
- We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (c) protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of CI, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
- We may share aggregated and non-personal information with third parties, including advisors, advertisers and investors, for the purpose of conducting general business analysis. For example, We may tell our advertisers the number of visitors to our Website and the most popular features or services accessed. This information does not contain any personal information and may be used to develop Website content and services that We hope you and other users will find of interest.
Access to Your Personal Data
We make good faith efforts to provide you with access to your personal information and will make reasonable efforts to either to correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at your request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes.
Visiting Our Websites from Outside the United States
The Terms are intended to cover collection of information on our Website from residents of the United States. If you are visiting our Website from outside the United States, by your use of and access to the Website, you acknowledge, consent and agree that your information may be transferred to, stored and processed in the United States where our servers are located and our central database is operated.
By accessing the Website you are agreeing to the information in the Terms. If you do not agree, you do not have permission to access the Website.
The data protection and other laws of the United States and other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country. Please be assured that We seek to take reasonable steps to ensure that your privacy is protected. By accessing the Website, you understand, consent and agree that your information may be transferred to our facilities and those third parties with whom We share it as described in the Terms.
IV. General Information
CI may make changes to the information, content and/or policies contained on the Website or the offerings and/or services described on the Website at any time. CI makes no commitment and undertakes no obligation for CI or its users to update the information contained herein. CI reserves the right to make changes to these Terms at any time, with or without notice. If any of these provisions shall be deemed invalid, void or for any reason unenforceable, that provision shall be deemed severable and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of these Terms.
We recommend that you check our Website from time to time to inform yourself of any changes in the Terms or any of our other policies. If you have questions about the Terms or if you wish that We modify or delete your personal information that We have collected, you can contact us at email@example.com or by phone at (860) 563-5851 and ask for our Website coordinator.
Please feel free to direct any questions or concerns regarding the Privacy Policies or CI’s treatment of personal information by contacting us through this form or by writing to us at:
c/o Connecticut Innovations
865 Brook Street
Rocky Hill, CT 06067
When we receive formal written complaints at this address, it is our policy to contact the complaining user regarding his or her concerns. We will cooperate with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints regarding the transfer of personal data that cannot be resolved between CI and an individual.
California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, under California law you are entitled to information on the kinds of your personal information gathered by the Website and how this personal information may be shared with other parties, and by contacting us you can review and make changes to your stored personal information. To contact us for this purpose if you are a California resident, please submit a written request to the following address:
c/o Connecticut Innovations
865 Brook Street
Rocky Hill, CT 06067
Please allow 30 days for a response.
Connecticut Freedom of Information Act (“FOIA”)
You should be aware that any information you provide to CI, including through VentureClash, may be required to be disclosed by CI in response to valid legal process, such as a search warrant, subpoena or court order, or pursuant to the FOIA. CI is a “public agency” for purposes of the FOIA, and documents and information received by CI in connection with the conduct of its business, including in connection with the Challenge, generally constitute “public records or files” for purposes of the public access requirements of the FOIA. However, the FOIA includes an exemption from required disclosure for “trade secrets” and “commercial or financial information given in confidence, not required by statute” (Conn. Gen. Stat. § 1-210(b) (5)). In addition, CI benefits from a FOIA exemption specific to certain categories of information received by CI in connection with an application for, or the provision of, financial assistance (Conn. Gen. Stat. § 32-244 ), including:
(1) Actual trade secrets or information that a person intends to become a trade secret;
(2) Material that a person intends to patent;
(3) Patented material;
(4) Marketing or business plans;
(5) Plans for new products or services;
(6) Reports of customer orders or sales or other documents that would disclose names and addresses of customers or potential customers;
(7) Information concerning the financial condition or personal affairs of any individual;
(8) Financial statements or projections;
(9) Sales or earnings forecasts;
(10) Capital or strategic plans;
(11) Information regarding research and development;
(12) Tax returns; and
(13) Other commercial, credit or financial information with respect to the financial condition or business operations of an applicant for or recipient of financial assistance which is of a type not customarily made available to the public.